Ingredients: 2 cups sushi rice 2 cups water 1/4 cup rice vinegar 1 tbsp. sugar 1 tsp. salt 4 sheets nori seaweed 1/2 Ib. sushi-grade fish (such as salmon, tuna or shrimp), sliced into thin strips 1/2 cucumber, peeled and sliced into thin strips 1 avocado, pitted and sliced into thin strips Soy sauce, for serving Pickled ginger, for serving Wasabi, for serving
Method: • Rinse the sushi rice in cold water until the water runs clear. Drain the rice and add it to a pot with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. Cook for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water has been absorbed.
• While the rice is cooking, make the sushi vinegar by mixing together the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl.
• Once the rice is cooked, transfer it to a large bowl and add the sushi vinegar. Use a wooden spoon or rice paddle to gently fold the vinegar into the rice until it's well combined. Let the rice cool to room temperature.
• Place a sheet of nori seaweed on a bamboo sushi mat or a piece of plastic wrap. Wet your hands with cold water and grab a handful of rice. Spread the rice evenly over the nori, leaving a 1-inch border at the top edge.
• Add a few strips of fish, cucumber and avocado to the center of the rice. Use the bamboo mat or plastic wrap to roll the sushi tightly, tucking in the filling as you go. Press the sushi roll gently to make sure it's compact and the filling is snugly packed.
• Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients, making three more sushi rolls.
• Use a sharp knife to slice each sushi roll into eight pieces. Serve the sushi with soy sauce, pickled ginger and wasabi on the side.
• Enjoy your homemade sushi!